“FHA mortgage between 1983 and 2004? You may be due a refund…”

This is one of those areas in which a lot of people are owed money and don’t know it.

There are so-called businesses that revolve around finding this money for people.

People who call themselves “tracers” try to track down people who are owed refunds, and help them get it—for a share of the money of course.

The thing is, you can get the refund on your own without paying anyone any part of the money owed you.

(At least 95% of the time…)

Here’s what HUD says1 about who may be owed money…

Premium Refund: You may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the insurance premium if you:

  • acquired your loan after September 1, 1983
  • paid an up-front mortgage insurance premium at closing and
  • did not default on your mortgage payments.

Review your settlement papers or check with your mortgage company to determine if you paid an up-front premium.

Distributive Share: You may be eligible for a share of any excess earnings from the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund if you:

  • originated your loan before September 1, 1983
  • paid on your loan for more than seven years and
  • had your FHA insurance terminated before November 5, 1990.

It is very easy to find out if you are owed money. You can just visit HUD’s website at:


Complete the form with your name or part of your name to search.

While you’re there, you can also read their information about tracers, which has a link to the page where complete data for all 50 states can be downloaded to get a full list of people who are owed refunds.

Check it out here:


Being a tracer is illegal in some states, so if you are contacted by someone claiming to be one make sure you check your state laws, and remember…you do NOT have to deal with them in order to get your money.

(1) http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/comp/refunds/fhafact.cfm

NOTE: This report was excerpted from the “Real Cash Secrets” home study course.

To learn more, click here:


Leave a Reply